In the twenty-first century, Roulette, which we love, is very different than a few hundred years ago. This game and its varieties have an interesting story, it is surrounded by superstition. Below are some interesting facts that you do not know.
- Roulette appeared in France, where the famous mathematician and physicist Blaise Pascal invented the wheel game. It happened when he was trying to invent a perpetual motion machine. The word “roulette” comes from the French «Roulette», which means “small wheel”.
- In the eighteenth century view of the roulette wheel has undergone some changes – were introduced elements from other games: Roly-Poly, EO, Ace of Hearts, Hoca, Biribi. She then became very popular in France and some other European countries.
- The first description of the roulette can be found in a French novel by Jacques Lable La Roulette, ou le Jour (1796). It specifies that the wheel had two zero – 0 and 00
- By the nineteenth century, the game is well-proven in the US casino and Monaco. European roulette wheel numbered 1 – 36 and contained 0 and 00, and early American roulette wheel numbered 1 – 28 and contained 0, 00 and American Eagle. This eagle was not only a symbol of American freedom, but also the sector, which further increases the house edge. However, soon this tradition disappeared.
- In 1842, the Frenchmen Francois and Louis Blanc introduced a roulette wheel with one zero, without the traditional 00. This reduction in benefits institution has been made in order to encourage regular visitors.
- One legend says that Francois and Louis sold the soul to the devil in return for all the secrets of roulette. This story is supposedly confirmed by the fact that the sum of all the numbers on the wheel is equal to 666 – the number of the beast.
- In European roulette the odds are much higher than in the US – the first house edge is only 2.63%, while in the second it is equal to 5.26%.